Louisiana Crawfish Gumbo
|8 c. of water|
2 ½ Tbsp. of Cajun style seasoning
1 28-30 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes diced
3 lbs. of shelled crawfish tails
1.5 c. of okra sliced
Parsley (to be used as a garnish)
⅓ c. vegetable oil
½ c. of flour
1 c. of white onion (finely chopped)
1 chopped green bell pepper (seeded)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 c. of celery (diced)
1-2 full sausage links (sliced)
6 garlic cloves (minced)
White or brown rice, steamed
1. Using a large skillet, heat oil on medium for approximately five minutes.
2. Slowly add all-purpose flour while mixing with a whisk until it is uniformly mixed.
3. Adjust heat to low and keep mixing until a dark gravy forms. It takes a little over a half an hour before it reaches this stage.
4. Add the sausage, bell pepper, onion, celery, and stir until onions soften up (approximately fifteen minutes or so). Put in garlic and after a minute add water, tomatoes, and Cajun-style seasoning. Allow time for it to start to bubble. Lower the heat to a simmer and let cook for one hour.
5. After the hour has passed, add crawfish and okra. Allow to start to bubble again, and simmer on low heat for fifteen minutes. You can serve with a side of white or brown rice.